Casey Liss, whose wife is a teacher, writes up a list of 35 practical questions that we’d need to have good answers to before we went the route of arming teachers to try to prevent more school shootings.
Just a taste:
- Where does the money come from to buy firearms for these teachers?
- Given most taxpayers won’t give money to cover basic school supplies, what makes you think they’ll be willing to give money for firearms?
- Where do the guns get stored? How do we prevent children from getting them?
- Are teachers allowed to shoot first? Or only after they hear gunfire?
- How do teachers know who the good guy is, and who the bad guy is? How do we ensure there’s no friendly fire?
Sure, Casey’s got an opinion on this… but these are also practical questions that would need to be answered before anybody could roll this idea out in practice. It’s worth reading through the whole list.